1. What types of training programs do you offer? We offer consultations, private training, and phone and skype consultations.
2.Should I book private lessons or a board and train? The success of dog training and behavior modification is repetition, consistency, and application! Deciding if your dog would benefit from private lessons or a board and train comes down to two main factors: your dog's behavioral issues and/or the lifestyle and availability of your family.
Board and train programs are incredible for achieving outstanding obedience, behavior modification, and solid results with your dog in a short period of a few weeks. During your dog's stay I do a lot of the "heavy lifting" by working with your dog multiple times per day, teaching basic obedience, off-leash e-collar training, socialization with other dogs/people/animals, and in some cases behavior modification. Your dog is challenged daily around distractions (like other dogs, public places, and new people) which is a huge part of the "real world success" of this program. This is what I do for a living, and your dog's behavior, obedience, and improvement is top priority everyday! When your dog goes home, they will have their obedience training foundation and a new, calmer, tuned in, obedient, and more polite state of mind--as an owner, you just have to apply the training and follow through (they already know their stuff, you just keep up with it! I supply you with thorough after training protocols and am always available to you with any questions). Severe behavior modification cases are strictly board and train; if you have questions about this, please feel free to contact me!
Private Lesson programs are an opportunity for you and your dog to learn together at the same time! In a sense YOU are really the dog trainer (not me), because once a week we work together for an hour, but you become the teacher at home. After our lessons you become the dog trainer as you teach, proof, and apply the things we've covered with your dog during the week. The success of your dog's training lies in your ability to practice training, setting boundaries, and following the rules I give you multiple times daily. Ultimately you have the opportunity to have a dog with precision behaviors and obedience (close to what they would achieve in a board and train at my facility) in a matter of 4-8 weeks as long as you put in the work! The more time and challenges you dedicate to your dog's training, the better your results will be! Remember, it's your effort that makes or breaks your dog's success. Because many people work full time jobs, long hours, and have very busy lifestyles that don't lend themselves to dog training an hour or so per day, the Board and Train becomes a great (and highly recommended) option. That said, if you're willing to put in the work and have the time, private lessons may be right for you!
The most important thing is that we match you with the program that fits best for your dog and your family!
3. Will I get to see my dog during the Board and Train? Janine will determine if owner participation is appropriate or helpful to the program. In most cases, however, we find owner participation counterproductive to the rehabilitation and training process.
4. What kind of tools do you use to train dogs? Just like people, no two dogs are alike. One tool that may work great on one dog may not work as well on another. Therefore, we have and use different tools to train different dogs dependent upon their temperment, size and needs. Some tools we use are slip leads, prong collars, e-collars, Pet Convincer (compressed air for interrupting behavior), treats, my dogs, long-lines, bark collars, and toys/food motivators and praise.
5. Why do you use prong collars? We use prong collars because we find them to be the best tool for connecting, communicating, and creating a harmonious relationship with the least amount of physical stress to the dog and owner. Most tools tend to only mask or manage the behavior, while the prong collar allows us to actually break through and effortlessly communicate, creating a vastly different state of mind and a highly responsive dog. While prong collars tend to look horrible, when used correctly, they have been proven to be the least physically taxing, most humane, and one of the safest tools available.
6. What is a day in the life at Inspired Canine Board and Train look like? We only work with a small number of dogs to give every dog the attention they need, and maintain a relaxed environment. First thing in the morning, all dogs go out on a 45-min to 1-hour long structured walk, followed by treadmill work, and our unique socialization/play time with our balanced pack (client’s dogs will not be in danger of interacting with dangerous dogs). After this, dogs go through several hours of hands-on training, alternating between active commands, duration work, and specific behavior modification. They will also receive plenty of rest, down time, and personal one-on-one attention. You dog’s safety is our primary concern.
7. Why do you use E-Collars? Modern E-Collar training is the most effective, most reliable, most humane, and transformational training available today.
8. How do you train with an E-Collar? We use low-level, communication-style, modern E-Collar training, which looks nothing like the E-Collar training of the past.
9. What happens if I don’t get the results I want from the training? Is there a guarantee?Due to the many variables involved to create a well-behaved, balanced dog, including owner commitment, consistency, and follow-through, it would be unethical for us to offer a 100% guarantee. However, we only choose the most dedicated and diligent owners so, in our experience, no matter how severe the issues, we consistently see breakthrough results and amazing transformations. We have never come across a dog we could not help. We work hand in hand as a team in your dog’s rehabilitation. This process of teamwork and collaboration begins before we even meet your dog, moves through the training process, and continues long after your dog has gone home. Once you hire us, we consider you part of the Inspired K9 family, and your success is our utmost priority.
10. My dog is fearful and nervous – I shouldn’t use an E-Collar with him, right…? Actually, modern E-Collar training is the best training for dogs with these types of issues. Our E-Collar training system is designed to create more confident, relaxed, and comfortable dogs.
11. My dog is uncontrollable on the walk – pulling, lunging, barking, growling – can you fix this? We consistently get fantastic results with all levels of issues, from mild pulling and disobedience, to severe dog reactivity.
12. I have tried other trainers before and didn’t get the results I desired – what makes your program and approach different and more effective? We are often the last stop after clients have been through multiple trainers. Unlike other training approaches that only focus on developing rehearsed behaviors, bribing with treats, or merely managing / bandaid-ing the problem, we have developed a unique approach that fundamentally changes the dog’s state of mind. Once we address the dog’s state of mind, the sky’s the limit for what we can create. By cultivating new habits, teaching the dog to make better choices, training calmness instead of excitability, and employing our unique duration work, we are consistently successful with dogs that others are unable to help. This will be the last dog training you will ever need.